Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Week Four-Post #1

Individuals Right to Privacy

Throughout the class I experienced numerous “Ah-Ha” moments when linking public policy topics to e-governance. I was a little overwhelmed regarding the possible subjects for posts because I had simply narrowed my focus on to simply the assigned reading, websites and my own views and analysis of those assignments. However, David’s expanded explanation of the potential topics drastically opened my eyes to topics that intrigued me.

For me, privacy is of the upmost importance while dealing with information services. One comment that stuck with me as I left class was that British citizens get their picture taken hundreds of times a day. I was very surprised and a little confused by that statement from David. After class I went home and discussed that topic with my boyfriend. He moved to the United States from London about ten years ago and we discussed the impact the lack of privacy has on individuals. I was adamant that being photographed was a violation on privacy, but he was quick to point out the advantages of such technology. He provided examples of crimes that could be committed and the usefulness of being able to pin-point the exact location of a crime, review the video footage and have an upward advantage on dealing with crime. He also pointed out other uses for debit cards, credit cards and the government having control over being able to view individual’s purchases.

While I fundamentally disagree with the government being able to monitor individual’s actions, the in-depth discussion with my boyfriend who had grown up in this type of environment made me see that there is a way to co-exist.

No comments: